Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

I thought it was really interesting reading The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. After doing some background reading on Wikipedia, I discovered that the Rubaiyat is actually a collection of poems, dating back to about 1048 AD. The term "Rubaiyat" actually means quatrains which is the four line verses found throughout his collection. Quatrains are the most basic of poetry and many example can be found upon researching. In all of Khayyams quatrains, lines 1,2 and 4 rhyme, while line 3 doesn't. One of my favorite quatrains was the following (#35):

Then to the Lip of this poor earthen Urn
I lean'd, the secret of my life to learn:
And Lip to Lip it murmur'd--while you live,
Drink!--for, once dead, you shall never return.

This is pretty much telling us to live life to the fullest because once it is gone, it's gone and there is no getting it back. I really try to follow that method as best I can, so I can get everything I possible can out of life.

The other quatrain that I really liked was # 72:

And that inverted Bowl they call the Sky,
Whereunder crawling coop'd we live and die,
Lift not your hands to It for help--for It
As impotently moves as you or I.

I just thought that this was an interesting analysis, seeing the somewhat mystical interpretation in other quatrains in the poem, I thought it was strange that Khayyam doesn't believe that there were any mystical qualities in the sky, and that it was just simply a physical object.

It was a little more difficult coming up with my own poems similar to Khayyam's. The following were personal creations:

Distance makes the heart grow fonder,
But my dear it's easy for hearts to wander
--Stay with me darling and remain true,
and it's this I promise, our love will not squander.

The dusk sets in over the crystal sea,
the white frosty sand below the lonely palm tree,
sparkles and glistens as the moon descends
soon the twinkling stars will be upon us, almost a guarantee.

6 comments:

Frankie E. Velazquez said...

I had no idea what any of the Rubiyat poems were about, but then again I probably should have tried to search for translations like you did.lol

Your poems are really nice I like how you used ",almost a guarantee." at the end of your last quatrain, it was simple yet it still fit in with the more complicated lines before it. It was a nice contrast.

Sara said...

I really like the lines you can up with. The first one was really clever! And yeah, the translations..good idea. I should have done that too! lol.

r4kijews said...

Wow, you really did your research, good job. You seem to capture the heart and spirit of the Rubaiyat and I also enjoyed your poems very creative.

Molly said...

In wasn't in class on Monday, so I wasn't very caught up on the readings. I chose randomly to read your blog first, and it actually helped me a lot. Good summary of the general ideas of the Rubiyat, and good examples of the poetry you chose to put in your blog.

I also liked the first poem you put up, number 35 I think it was. When I read it, I definitely got the same general meaning out of it that you did.

Dbrim said...

I love your poetry! :)

lindasthoughts said...

I really enjoyed the poem about staying true to your love. No truer words have ever been spoken.